HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
paul courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jun 2005 18:56:03 +0100
Trouble is tolerance can be an awfully diffuse and cyclic concept. I am
not sure Holland is very tolerant right now towards its ethnic
minorities and was small town protestant Holland ever that tolerant.
There is plenty of anti-German racism organised around football and
anti-Islamic feeling is on the rise. Just been to Copenhagen which has
its own hippy ghetto but I know someone who has moved there having
married  a Dane and finds it difficult to work and be socially accepted.
I live in a city with 30 per cent immigrant population and very little
overt racial violence and a very tiny facist presence these days. Plenty
of white middle class academic types will harp on about tolerance but
they all live out in the county where the children can go to white
majority schools. And as for New York I remember meeting a Italian New
York academic  telling me how she still hated everything Irish due to
being beaten up regularly by Irish kids as a child. In fact a major
critique of Schama's Bourgeois 17th century Holland is he left out the
under class and have you read the accounts of the Ducth breaking
recalcitrants on the wheel etc. I think the Belgians (who have their own
problems with the Vlaamsblok etc 'the children of the Nazi
collaborators'as one Flemish friend described them) would laugh at the
idea of tolerant Dutch as well. Personally I love Holland but not sure
it is a utopian social paradise. However, the  most overt racism i have
heard  tends to come from people who live in communities who have hardly
seen an immigrant in their life apart from the anti-german stuff around
the german border- a lot of which relates to house prices.

paul courtney
leicester