From:
June & John <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 10:32:44 +1200
Hi All

I am wondering if there is any exceptions to the WHO recommendation not to introduce before 6 months?

I have permission to post

Baby born at term by NVD, now 4 months old and is on digoxin for cardiac problem.

Baby weighed at Doctors to-day and has  gained 90 grams in 2 weeks. Doctor has recommended that solids be  introduced.  prior a few weeks ago baby had  been gaining weight. He will only spend 3 - 4 minutes at the breast.   He appears settled and not lethargic when I weighed him today. The concern is  the side effects of the digoxin which is known to cause nausea as the levels increase. Mother  still wants to breastfeed but is concerned that she will cause harm to her baby by not following the advice of the Doctor

They  will see the peadiatrician  2 weeks time.

Thankyou in advance for any input as I feel  way over my head.

Sincerely

June Nicholls
IBCLC