From:
Chris Betzold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 12:05:22 EDT
In a message dated 5/8/2005 5:53:31 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
Baby born at term by NVD, now 4 months old and is on digoxin for cardiac =
problem.

Baby weighed at Doctors to-day and has  gained 90 grams in 2 weeks.

Are we sure this is accurate?  How was he weighed?  Naked? Dry diaper?  Same
scale? What was his birth weight?  Last weight? This weight?
=
Doctor has recommended that solids be  introduced.  prior a few weeks =
ago baby had  been gaining weight.
THis would not be my first recommendation.
He will only spend 3 - 4 minutes at =
the breast.
HOw many times per day?  Has his feeding frequency dropped or length
decreased--this may lead us to believe he may be having possible nausea.

He appears settled and not lethargic when I weighed him =
today.

THis is reassuring.  And what weight did you get?
The concern is  the side effects of the digoxin which is known to =
cause nausea as the levels increase. Mother  still wants to breastfeed =
but is concerned that she
Is Mom using breast compression?  I  Like Teresa's idea of wearing is sling
and feeding as soon as he cues--is she doing that or at least staying close and
feeding as soon as he cues?  I like the supplementer idea as well.

Is this baby going to have more surgeries?  Does he need to be a certain
weight before they can do them?

Can the slowing be a variation of normal?  Or of a normal fluctuation of
growth?  Will he then pick up on his own in the next few weeks?

Once some of these questions are answered then a step by step plan of action
can be developed.