From:
Mandy Frost <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 14:29:15 -0400
I've searched the archives.  I have a mom S/P thyroidectomy due to thyroid
CA 2 years ago.  She is on synthroid and her Dr. wants her levels a little
higher than normal to help keep the CA from coming back.  I looked on
Medline and found this to be the standard practice for thyroid CA.  In the
archives there are some posts about high thyroid hormone levels (due to
extra synthroid) being problematic (causing similar supply problems as
hypothyroid).  I'm not worried about the excess amount getting into her
milk, more so it decreasing her supply, and why would it decrease her
supply?  Does anyone know how high is too high?  I'm sure there is
variation, but I need something to go on.  She seems to think her Dr. wants
her hormone levels to be twice the normal amount.  Thanks, Mandy Frost, MS,
RD, IBCLC