From:
Claire Bloodgood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 12:11:47 -0400
On Tue, 3 May 2005 10:25:31 -0400, Pam Hirsch, RN, BSN, CLC
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

<snip>
>In
>his column he stated that the Catholic Church considers it a sin for
>couples to use reproductive technology to achieve a pregnancy.  That
>statement really startled me as many of the (Catholic) couples I work with
>have used such methods.  Does this mean that these babies are "conceived in
>sin" and therefore are to be denied the sacraments? <snip>

Hello all,

I answered this more fully privately, but the short answer is no, these
babies would not be denied baptism.  Children are not held accountable for
their parents' actions.  The only requirement for infant baptism is a
reasonable expectation that the child would be raised in the faith.

For the record, I haven't taken offense at anyone's comments.  To me this
is a fascinating topic and I enjoy hearing others' ideas and sharing my
own.  I do realize that we've strayed beyond the topic of breastfeeding, my
apologies to all :-).

-Claire Bloodgood, IBCLC