ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Nina Simon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:19:28 -0400

Calling any intrepid electronics source-finders!

I'm running a teen workshop on lie detectors in a couple of weeks and
have designed a simple electronic detector that measures fluctuations in
skin resistance and outputs to an LED.  The parts are cheap and simple
enough for all the kids to make their own... the only part I can't
afford is the breadboard.  I'm looking for prototyping options.  The
parts are too delicate for the macgyver tinfoil and paperclip option,
and I don't have the facilities to burn pc boards (nor to give the kids
soldering irons).  So I want to take thin pieces of cardboard, cut small
holes, and jam little compression springs through (which the wires can
then be sandwiched in).

Any ideas of where to find cheap, small (1/2 inch long), potentially
tapered compression springs?  I've checked sciplus.com, home depot,
mcmaster carr, digikey with no real luck.

Or if you have any other brilliant ideas for hooking up electronic
circuits cheaply, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!

Nina Simon
International Spy Museum