ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Clifford Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:53:04 -0500

As many of you are working on proposals for next years conference
(deadline Thursday, the 15th)  let's not forget about some really good
sessions that happened in Richmond.

I just got around to listening to the CD's I bought of a couple of
sessions.
Go to:
http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/index.asp?category=290469&count=1
  to order any sessions.

If you only get one CD (or cassette tape-remember casettes?) it should
be of the session "Science As a World View, or Can Science Explain
Everything? Part 1, Gretchen Jennings moderator. (Tape m12) In it, the
panelists,, Eric Jolly, Elaine Gurian, Emlyn Koster talk about the
world views of museums, including the world view of science centers.
All did exceptional talks, but I personally think Emlyn's may have been
the most important talk of the whole conference.  There is a part two
(tape M26) also  worth listening to, but Part 1 is the winner.

Other good sessions include the "CEO Forum: Building the Science Center
Brand- Lesley Lewis, Moderator"  (tape SA4)  What are we in our
visitor's eyes?

I was one of the panelists on "Gutless No More- What Exhibits Science
Centers Should Be Doing" Maureen McConnell Moderator (tape SA6)  in
which we (Maureen, Stephanie Ratcliff, Charlie Walter, Kathy McLean,
Hooley McLaughlin and myself) talk about what are important exhibits to
do and some about strategies for getting those exhibits produced.  It
touches on the philosophy, education and marketing of what we do so
it's for all of us, not just exhibits people.

"Developing the Field: Needs, Opportunities, Ideas" Charlie Walter
moderator (tape SU15) is also well worth listening to.

So what other sessions did you find valuable?  Please make your
recommendations.   We have so many amazing colleagues worth learning
from.

Sincerely, Clifford Wagner
www.scienceinteractives.com
www.makeearthricher.org (this is a work in progress covering what I
talked about in the Gutless No More session)