ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Ruggiero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 22:23:38 -0700

Hi Mike and Dennis,

I worked at Flandrau for a long time and can give you a little
information about their heliostat and the problem in general.

Basically, in Flandrau's design, there is an equatorial mount on the
roof of the building - main axis parallel to the Earth's axis; ei,
roughly pointing toward Polaris. At the lower end of the axis is a fork
that holds the primary mirror. In their case the primary mirror is an
optical flat about 12" in diameter and about 2" thick. The fork allows
the primary mirror to aim the sun right down the axis, through a hole in
the ceiling and into the building.

At this point the sunlight is theoretically stationary. You can capture
the beam, bend it with a good first surface mirror, pass it through
imaging system, prisms, diffraction grating, what ever. If imaged, the
face of the sun will rotate throughout the day. To eliminate this
rotation there is a more sophisticated device, I believed it's called a
celeotstat, which does keep the image's orientation the same throughout
the day.

When it was properly pointed it had to be adjusted at least once a day -
to correct for the sun moving up or down seasonally. This was not much
of an issue. Clock motors on the Declination axis and push buttons on
the exhibit floor made it easy. Of course, later in its life, when it
wasn't so accurately pointed, it had to be adjusted several times a day.
Nowadays, this could probably all be taken care of electronically with
some kind of feedback loop.

If you are not going to image the sun the quality of the optics are not
so important. If you are going to image you need very good quality
optics. The cost of a large optical flat can be ... astronomical.

Also, if you image, you need to eliminate all vibration. The light is
thrown a long distance. The tiniest movement will be greatly
exaggerated. If you just want to aim the light at a prism or diffraction
grating then it's not such a big deal.

I made a crude heliostat for the Children's Discovery Museum of San Jose
out of Unistrut and the drive shaft of an old Chevy. It sat on the
ground on the South side of the building and shot light into a window on
the second floor. It wasn't very accurately pointed or made, but it
worked well enough for a while.

Any 'astronomer' can give you a better description of this. And in case
you can't tell, I'm no astronomer!

Joe Ruggiero
www.TheExhibitGuys.com