ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Eugene Dillenburg <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 19 May 2005 11:23:36 -0400

Martin --

"Optimum" means "best or most favorable," clearly a subjective term.  So, no
surprise that different people will have different opinions.  There is an
inherent trade-off between reach and effect -- you can talk to one person
very powerfully, very directly; or you can talk to a million people very
broadly, very impersonally.  Which is better?  Arguments can be made either way.

However, in my studies of communication in many forms (writing, advertising,
TV, radio, etc.), I found that the very first thing every professional tells
you is: know your audience.  Define them, as clearly and as precisely as
possible.  Communicate to them, and only them, and you will be more
effective than if you take a scatter-shot approach.

(Taken to an extreme, for maximum effectiveness the ideal target audience
is, literally, one: a single person whom you know very, very well!)

Museums, of course, are often pulled in the opposite direction.  We traffic
in the common cultural and intellectual heritage of our society, which
should be available to all.  We believe in the importance of our subject
matter, and want to deliver it to everybody.  And many of us receive public
funding in one form or another, and thus feel an obligation to serve all
audiences.

All very true, all very important.  But also, all working aainst the
fundamental tenet of good communication.  Just as a good exhibit has a
single message -- it says one thing well rather than a dozen things poorly
-- it also needs a single target, communicating effectively to one audience
rather than ineffectively to several.

Your mileage may vary.  ;-)

-- Eugene Dillenburg
Exhibit Developer