ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:22:15 -0600
From:
Teresa Eastburn <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:

I am currently employed as an educational designer at at the National Center for Atmospheric
Research in Boulder, CO.  Since your interview with an NCAR applied mathematician 13 years
ago, Lisa, our global coupled climate models have improved greatly and confidence in their
reliability as a prediction tool is extremely strong within the scientific community.  (Just think
of the advancements in computing power and resolution capabilities over the past 13 years.
Can you remember your computer or the internet from 1992?  Today's fastest super
computers can do approximately 80 trillion calculations per second at peak speed.)  There
are still uncertainities and certain variables missing from climate models, but a great deal of
research is going on around the globe to address these uncertainities -- clouds' and
aerosols' for example are not well represented.  Today's models clearly show that the Earth
would actually be cooling during this period if it were not for human's GHG emissions.  It is
only when models add in anthropogenic factors along with natural climate forcings --
increasing greenhouse gases due to fossil fuel burning, methane, etc -- that we see a
warming in the models.  Also, scientists have recently done what is known as a "Commitment
Run" for the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's climate assessment report due out
in 2007.   In a commitment model run, the model predicts warming based on the change in
the composition of the atmosphere that has ALREADY TAKEN PLACE and assumes that we will
completely halt all future emissions (of course, we are continuing to increase our emissions).
The commitment run clearly shows that even if we stopped emitting all GHG NOW, we would
still continue to warm and oceans would continue to rise significantly based on OUR PAST
emissions.  No doubt, it is time for action and leadership on this issue on all levels --
globally, nationally, regionally, and individually.

I recently interviewed 10 of NCAR's leading scientists and produced a 26 minute DVD from
roughly five hours of tape for our climate exhibit floor.  The DVD will be available from the
NCAR store later this year should you be interested. Feel free to call me or email me with any
questions you might have about it -- 303.497-1152.

Also, thanks to whomever began this discussion thread.  I agree with many of you that this is
a critical issue.  Personally, I believe it will be the dominating issue and problem of the 21st
century.

Teri Eastburn
NCAR Educational Designer
1850 Table Mesa Drive