Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 20:12:06 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
Hi all,

I am writing in response to the psoriasis questions.  I suffer from psoriasis and never had it on my breast until my third child.   Now it has spread to my breasts.  The p. is mainly on my nipples, causing me tremendous pain when I have a flare up.  There seems to be rhyme or reason to these flare ups.  I have been to see doctors for help, but nothing really takes care of it over the long term.  What I have found works is to be very proactive when I start to notice a fissure developing.  I immediately use my cortisone, and if that does not help right away, I add a triple cream to the mix.  I cover this with saran wrap and THAT seems to be what really does the trick.  I apply 2x a day with saran wrap and sleep with the saran wrap at night too.  It takes a few days to clear up.  

What I feel is the following ... my nipples start to get very red near the base of the nipple.  It feels like the baby (who is 2 1/2) is biting when he nurses, especially upon the latch on.  It seems to get a little more tolerable as the feeding progresses.  Also, at a later point in the nursing session when the milk seems to slow the sharp pain returns.  I develop deep fissures that look like open wound cracks in my nipples when it is at its worst.  The IBCLC MD who looked at me can't believe that I could continue to breastfeed with the depth of the fissures I had ... Well, thank goodness I was an experienced breastfeeder who won't stop for anything.

I hope this explanation helps.  Feel free to contact me privately if you would like more detailed explanations.

Susan Esserman
LLL Leader, IBCLC, LCSW, LCCE
New Jersey
[log in to unmask]

Add me to your address book... Want a signature like this? 

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2