From:
Winnie Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 May 2005 07:42:12 -0500
Phyllis,

Do you have any ongoing contact with this mom?  If so, I would encourage her
to write to the Director of Nursing and even the CEO, or whatever the "top
dog" in called there, expressing her displeasure.  This will carry at least
10X the weight of anything you might say.

Are there breastfeeding policies in place that the nurse's actions violate?
This would be the next step.  Are you in a position to present a required
inservice/competency in which you can present evidence based information on
normal nursing patterns/needs in the first few days?  Admittedly, this nurse
may ignore what you say, but you will then have a "leg to stand on" in
reporting her conduct to those who yield some authority.

Unfortunately, even if you are able to do all this, you may not be able to
change the situation.  My experience was that if I would question such
actions by nurses, administration would come to their defense saying "She's
doing the best she can in the circumstances."!  (For some reason, if someone
complained about me, "I was doing the best I could" carried no weight.  It
all depends on how supportive they are of breastfeeding.)  Sometimes you
best hope in the long run is to educate the new nurses before they "know
better than you do" and hope that attrition will eventually take care of the
rest.

Winnie