From:
Kathy Chaney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 10:22:28 -0500
This same situation came up in our employee pumping room.  One of our NICU
nurses complained that she was not comfortable with dads in the pumping
room.  There are two other pumping rooms that she could have used.  I
explained to her that this a family centered care facility and that some
mom's need help with pumping especilly in the first few weeks.  I suggested
she use one of the other rooms but, she wanted to use this one.  A
compromise was made by posting a sign that stated: Some moms are not
comfortable with men in the pumpimg room.  Please be sensitive and when
asked to step out please do so.  Thank you for your cooperation.  To my
knowledge no one has been asked to leave!  Please excuse any spelling
errors.  I am a terrible speller.

Kathy Chaney, RN, IBCLC