ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carey Tisdal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:00:33 -0500

Neil,

After doing several wayfinding studies and lobby studies at a museum where I
worked AND reading comment cards, I think the idea of a school entrance is
an excellent one. The best one I have seen was at the Ontario Science Centre
in Toronto, Ontario. It was on a separate level of the museum and had
several of the design features mentioned below.

School visitors and casual visitors have different arrival and orientation
pattens, and separate entrances make it easier for teachers, students, and
other visitors. School visitors and casual visitors sometimes conflict,
especially if you have parents with small children (stroller moms) that
school children run over or senior/adult visitors. These are the two
visiting groups most likely to be at a science museum during school hours.
Finding ways to keep these groups visiting happily at the same time should
be good for the learning experience, revenue, and attendance.

A separate entrance could, ideally, keep school buses from clogging your
main entrance, and provide for safety as the larger numbers of school
visitors enter into the building.  It could also facilitate some bus parking
that might make your visitor services people happy.

A separate entrance could also reduce confusion in your ticketing area as
school children wait for teachers and chaperones to pick up tickets or
materials for their visit. This is a frequent issue I have observed.

The lobby area near a school entrance needs to be organized to allow
teachers and chaperones to "line up and count" the members of their group
after they move some distance from the door. At common entrances, I have
often seen casual visitor clogged up and not able to enter as school groups
line up and count and get final instructions. The sound level generated by
several school groups, while understandable, is often disturbing to other
visitors. A lobby area near a school only entrance also gives school
children a "meet back" place away from casual visitors--reducing waiting
groups (and noise and confusion) in your main lobby area.

In the building, a school entrance can be accompanied by a coat check (for
colder climates), and even a bag lunch check. If school groups can easily
stay over the lunch period, and reduce some cost, they may stay longer and
be able to do more things. While lunch revenue may be an issue if you have a
cafe, there might be a way to arrange a practical system of delivering
school lunches to a location near to this entrance, thereby, relieving
congestion from from you cafe areas.  Ideally, there might even be some
program rooms that could serve as school lunch rooms off this entrance with
vending machines and places to eat bag lunches.

Remember the bathrooms if you decide to go with a school entrance--everyone
will need to use them before heading back to school. This could also
separate the stroller-parents and adult bathroom use from school
children--its very hard for a parent to help a small child with 10 year olds
running around.

Finally, if staffing a second entrance is an issue, then it might only be
"open" during the heavy field trip months, thereby reducing that cost, but
allowing you to staff up and really offer all your visitors a good
experience. But, a separate entrance might also allow specialized greetings
and orientations that would benefit the school groups.

Hope that helps!  If others on the list have logistics issues on the
separate entrances that would probably be helpful too.

Carey Tisdal