ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Nancy VanBeek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:51:39 -0600

Jonah,

Short Answer:
If the population you are trying to reach is creationist then you should
consider how best to reach them. Respect for their culture and beliefs
are the best way.

If little to none of your target audience is creationists why waste all
that time and resources trying to change a point of view that isn't part
of your target audience?

As for the passion at which you express your ideas, Jonah, I haven't
seen you as anything but passionate about what you are discussing. The
exchange of ideas is what we are supposed to be about. We are exploring
ideas on this list-serve the same way we encourage visitors to explore
science, with enthusiasm and passion.

Nancy

Long Answer:
I am wondering if my point of view is skewed? Where I work is not only a
science center it is also an arts and performing art center. Having
people disagree with what is presented here doesn't stop us from
presenting new ideas and thoughts. But we think through our projects and
consider the effect we will be having on the communities we are trying
to reach.

In South Dakota, Lewis and Clark are not considered heroes to many who
live here. Did that stop us from showing the movie? No, but we did think
through the ramifications that the movie would have and how to use the
film to encourage rather then discourage science among native South
Dakotans.

Let's go back to the start of these conversations. A couple of people,
mentioned that there might be a problem, with the evolution theme in a
movie. The Science Center decided not to show it. Is that the sole
reason for the decision not to show the film?

A Science Center should not consider people expressing their opinion as
forcing them to do or not to do something. If a science center felt it
had to act on every opinion offered up, it would soon be out of
business. But a good science center listens, learns and incorporates
what it hears into how to best reach its audience.

One of your responses to a statement I made was: "I do them no favors by
avoiding those explanations and simply saying "Well, I don't have all
the answers, I encourage you to keep looking for the truth."

You took out a significant section of what I said. "We can only go with
what we currently know." That is all science can ever offer. That is
what makes science terrific. A new discovery and new theory is always
just around the corner. That is what I want the visitors to understand.
Science isn't a bunch of dusty thoughts, rules and terms. Science is an
exploration that you can join in no matter who you are, what you believe
or what your culture is.

Isn't it the hope of a science center is to create:

Scientists who will follow their passion to wherever it leads, even if
it leads them to an answer they never expected.

Science literate citizens who will realize that science changes, that
the media is not always accurate in its reporting of science facts and
that science needs to be accepted by a majority of the scientists in
that field before it can be accepted.

Science passionate people will jump into science exploration knowing
that understanding science can only enrich their culture, beliefs and
their understanding of the world, not subtract from it.

To do that we need to be open to the people whose minds we are trying to
reach.
Nancy