ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
William Katzman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:53:05 -0500

Edith,
To say that the exchange of ideas seems to indicate that we don't want
people of different beliefs to come to our science centers seems to be a
bit of a leap.  From what I have heard, there is an argument over what and
how we should present things.  Often this comes down to a point of syntax.
 People do have emotional triggers to certain words...(such as "wrong" and
"evolution," oddly enough one can often say the same things without those
words).
To say that we are non-inclusive because a science center presents things
their audience may disagree with is taking it to an extreme.  And as for
that list of religions who we have excluded...I know a great many of them
who 1) believe in evolution (yes there are many Catholics who believe in
evolution) and 2) go to our science centers!

The exchange of ideas on the topic of creation seems to show that an
inclusive science center is a nice idea, as long as those who think
differently are excluded. The ideas expressed also make a joke of the
conflict regarding ASTC 2004 scheduling of its conference during Rosh
Hashanah.  The thought seems to be we respect your holiday, but not your
right to believe in what you are celebrating.

The list of cultures that are being excluded is very comprehensive. Here
are just a few of the cultures that believe in creation; Islamic,
Hindus, the Indigenous people of Australia, Jewish, Greek Orthodox,
Mennonites, Mormons, Evangelical Christians, Catholics, Lakota (Sioux),
Cherokee, Navajo and many African religions. Sioux Falls has more then
forty-three languages and cultures represented in its school system, of
which just a few are listed above, all want to be accepted no matter
what their culture or belief system.

Science centers want to attract these diverse cultures to science.
Attacking their belief systems does not seem to be the best way to do
that.  However we can encourage everyone to explore science. To the
creationists, the evolutionists and everyone in between or on the side,
we say, "You're right we don't know all the answers. We can only go with
what we currently know. We encourage you to become a scientist and help
discover the truth."

The question should not be, how do science centers force people to
agree, but rather, how can a science center create an environment where
people are invited to enjoy and explore the world of science.

One last Nov/Dec 2004 ASTC Dimensions quote "To be successful in our
quest for full inclusion, we all have much more work to do."

Nancy Van Beek

KSDC Education Manager

Washington Pavilion of Arts and Science

301 S. Main Ave

Sioux Falls SD 57104

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you
plant."

-Robert Louis Stevenson