HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Oct 2005 19:52:00 +0000
i have a quote somewhere from about 1800 where someone identifies a site relative to a house number for the first time, and specifically refers to the "new" custom of numbering houses
previous to that i have several examples of very convoluted descriptions like "the house across from the pub called x, which is down the street from the church" & so on -
makes it very difficult to relocate a site
which might answer the question of why the practice seems to have been discontinued