ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
martin weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:47:50 -0500

Couple of points: There  does not seem to be one biblical view of
creation. It seems to range from a strict interpretation of the
biblical description to a very loose interpretation that God created
everything, including the laws that rule the universal, and just let
everything go.

When folks are asked in these surveys about evolution and creationism
not all are talking about the same understandings. I think few people
understand what evolution is about. Or understand that it is the core
to understanding who and what we are in so far as science can define
these (to paraphrase Steven Jay Gould); that it is the central
essence of biology and closet to being The Law, as sometimes the laws
of thermodynamics are referred.

I don't think that a museum visit can attain the kind of
enlightenment Teri refers to and that I ideally would like to see.
"Help" is the operative word. Perhaps we can open some eyes and
stimulate others to think about the issue. Faith based beliefs are
amongst the most deeply held. However, children are probably more
open to new ideas like this than are adults. Though an understanding
of evolution is probably developmentally not possible for very young
children.

  I also think we need to give visitors a reason to examine their
views. Perhaps by pointing out why evolution is important to their
lives in a manner that is non threatening (to their core beliefs).
This does not mean compromising on the science or the evidence.
Evolution is real, no questions about it. Mechanisms maybe not but
evolution. It is real. And that can never be compromised. Maybe if
visitors-who do not accept evolution and are amenable to accepting
new ideas understand why it is important to their lives-they would be
wiling to examine their views.

Cheers,

Martin

>Nightline, on Jan. 13, addressed the current lawsuits pending in
>Dover, PA regarding the use
>of the text book "Pandas and People", which promotes an intelligent
>design perspective on
>evolution.  Nighline also stated that one in three people in the
>U.S. believe that the biblical
>view of creation is correct.  Unquestionably, this topic should be
>addressed on this listserve
>since many if not all of our institutions promote the theory of
>evolution, which conflicts with
>one-third of the population's belief system.  And I believe
>whole-heartedly with Martin --
>that this deals with two different, although conflicting, ways of
>viewing the world -- faith-
>based ways of knowing and science based (testable).  Galielo was
>able to reconcile his faith
>and scientific ways of knowing.  How do we help the public do the same?
>
>Teri Eastburn, Educational Designer
>National Center for Atmospheric Research

phone	718 699 0005 x 356
facsimile	718 699 1341