ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bill Schmitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 13:34:08 -0700

We are doing a project in the USA involving students in Grades 4 to 8 to
observe shadows during the December 2004 Solstice.  We are involving
students in Ohio and Arizona.  These groups are separated by about 7 degrees
longitude and 29 degrees longitude.    Essentially we are measuring the
length of Sun shadows cast by a 1-meter stick at local noon (Suns transit)
on December 21 and also measuring Moon shadows cast by a 1-meter stick at
the full Moon on Dec 26th at midnight (Moons transit).   We will use the
shadows to calculate the altitude of the Sun or Moon and serve as a baseline
for future observations.  The data collected will be posted and used to make
comparisons and predictions as we make more observations next year at the
Vernal Equinox and June Solstice.

Any chance we can get some volunteer participation (especially by students -
teachers/staff are also welcome) from Australia, New Zealand, or ??  If you
are interested please contact me directly and I will send more information.

Bill Schmitt, Executive Director & Science Partner
The Science Center of Inquiry (480) 816-6094

"Creating opportunities for discovery and understanding."