ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Nancy VanBeek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 12:03:08 -0500

Currently science centers are relevant to formal science testing, if the teacher chooses to make the connection.  Many teachers use science centers and museums as fun field trips in May. When they choose to do that they choose not to use the natural connection between science centers and science knowledge. By working with schools and teachers science centers can help meet the formal tests requirements while providing a place for the higher order inquiry skills. But we can only provide a rich thinking environment, it is up to the teachers to take advantage of what we offer. We work with teachers in our area to show how to have a knowledge based field trip.

Students come with a wide variety of experiences or lack of experiences. Field trips give the teacher and the students a starting point experience, with any luck or better yet planning, there will be an 'Ah-Ha" experience. If a teacher chooses to start the year at the science center she can refer back to the shared experience again and again when teaching specific science concepts.  "Remember the hot air balloon at the science center why (or at what point) did it start to lift off the ground?"  Remember how Juanita tried to ...? Remember how Johnny was able to make... The list can be endless or better yet fine tuned to cover specific content. The teacher can choose select areas of the science center that correlate with her curriculum. During a science center visit she can then use these exhibits for a more in depth look at a science concept.

Science museums, teachers and parents should be presenting higher-order inquiry skills. However in today's overcrowded under-budgeted classrooms that is not possible for many teachers. So, school officials use standardized tests to determine if the students have a working knowledge of the vocabulary used to describe a science concept. Not whether they understand the concept. The same skills that allow students to pass a written test designed by white American males for white American students will help them work in a society run by white American males for white American consumers.

As for future Einsteins, we did not create Einstein, he was German born and educated. We just gave him a safe place to think. How many of today immigrants have the potential to be the next Einstein if we give them a safe place to think?

Nancy Van Beek
Education Manager
Kirby Science Discovery Center
(605) 367-7397 ext. 2374

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant"
 Robert Louis Stevenson