ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bonnie VanDorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 1 Aug 2005 13:30:53 -0400

Dear ASTC friends,
I am very sad to share the tragic news that ASTC member Roy Shafer died
unexpectedly at home on Friday.

An obituary is posted in today's Columbus Dispatch. You can access it from
the link below without being a subscriber. The listing includes a guest book
where you can express condolences to his wife Jody and daughters Megan and
Jamie. The obituary is scheduled to run August 1-3, but I haven't been able
to find out if the online guest book will be accessible beyond that time.
http://www.legacy.com/dispatch/LegacyHome.asp

Roy was passionately committed to the science center field from his years as
a teen volunteer and later CEO at COSI Columbus, to his presidency of ASTC,
and most recently a valued organizational coach. ASTC bestowed it's highest
honor on him in 1999--The ASTC Fellow Award for Outstanding Contribution. As
a dynamic force in this field and a steadfast friend, we will miss him
greatly.

As part of ASTC's tribute to Roy, we are creating a Roy Shafer Memory Book.
You can send images and written memories by email to me or through posting
on the listserv and we will publish the collection on online.

Regards,
Bonnie VanDorn
Executive Director
Association of Science-Technology Centers
1025 Vermont Ave. NW, #500
Washington, DC 20005-6310 USA
202/783-7200 x115
fax: 202/783-7207