ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Wayne Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 21:50:04 -0800

 From the Skeptics Society:

Words dealing with concepts and ideas.
==============================
Hypothesis: A testable statement to account for a set of observations .

Theory: A well-supported testable statement to account for a set of observations.

Fact: Data or conclusions confirmed to such an extent that it would be
reasonable to offer temporary agreement.

A hypothesis and theory may be contrasted with a construct: a non-testable
statement to account for a set of observations. The observation of living
organisms on Earth may be accounted for by God or by evolution. The first
statement is a construct, the second a theory. Most biologists would even call
evolution a fact by the above definition.

The foundations of science. We do what we can to follow these idea(l?)s.

--

             "I know that defies the law of gravity, but, you see, I never
              studied the law of gravity." -- Bugs Bunny

                         Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>