ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
jeff courtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:00:21 -0600

i probably didn't make myself as clear as i could have....it has nothing to
do with political correctness and an unwillingness to declare 'you're
wrong.'  i ask the question again, if you and i disagree on fundamentals,
what good does it do to tell me i'm wrong.  think about relativity and frame
of reference.  which spaceship is moving?

i only suggest the way to engage in more meaningful dialogue is to begin
with respect.  if you disagree with me, the surest way i know to harden my
position is for you to say, 'you're wrong.'

what i suggest is respect, even for those with naive notions, such as the
age of the earth.  it is perhaps human nature to only want to listen to
those who are willing to listen to us.

let me offer you a story, taken from an NPR broadcast about naive notions:
this woman recounts an encounter on a jet plane.  a little girl sitting next
to her was quite excited during takeoff and the subsequent climb - it was
her first plane ride.  after a few minutes she turned to this woman, this
stranger, and asked, "when do we get smaller?" had you been that child,
would you have responded more openly if you had been told you were wrong, or
if you were treated with respect and told, that's an interesting thought,
let me tell you how other people see it.....

love the discussion.....

jeff courtman
shreveport, la