HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 09:55:01 -0400

In a message dated 10/14/2005 7:12:51 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

rereading  o'brien & lyman's "seriation, stratigraphy & index fossils" i
realised  they don't mention or even reference harris or the harris matrix (altho
they  do cite adrian praetzelis' article in harris' "practices" book)
how  wide-spread is use of the harris matrix &/or his theories of
stratigraphic  theory in the US?
also: does anyone colour their plan/profile drawings  using pencil crayons? &
if so, do they try for naturalistic colours, or  use some form of abstract
code or hatching to represent soil  texture/composition?

I've never tried using the matrix, as most of the sites I excavate have
fairly simple stratigraphy. It seems very dependent on the observer though if  you
ask me.

Re: "Also..." Colored pencils? You can download a Munsell conversion  program
from their web site which gives you the RGB or cmyk values. Then create  a
custom color in autocad, photoshop or whatever graphics program you use and
fill the stratum with the perceived Munsell color....  (try it and  you'll see
what I mean by "perceived" color)

Carl Steen