From:
"Robert M. Stumpf II" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 20:00:25 -0500
Ian Foster writes:

>I possess at least one recording of every Vaughan Williams symphony, except
>No 8.  Could anyone suggest a suitable version of this work, which I've
>never heard - not even on the radio?

The best I have heard is Leopold Stokowski's live performance with the
BBCSO.  This is a 1964 concert.  My copy is on BBC Radio Classics 91312.
It is coupled with Symphony #4 conducted by Sir Malcolm Sargent.  The sound
is very good and in stereo.  The performance is better than any I have
heard.  It covers every emotion, is exciting, is daring.  In lieu of that
I would suggest the Naxos recording with Symphony #7 (the most awesome
recording I have ever heard of the 7th).

Peace,
bob stumpf