From:
Thanh-Tam Le <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 18:13:27 -0500
Ian Foster wrote:

>I possess at least one recording of every Vaughan Williams symphony, except
>No 8.  Could anyone suggest a suitable version of this work, which I've
>never heard - not even on the radio?

The first one I ever heard was by "Glorious John" as V.W.  called Sir John
Barbirolli.  More recently, I really enjoyed Slatkin, even though I am not
sure that I would turn to him for earlier symphonies.  Be warned, No. 8 is
a kind of Concerto for Orchestra, quite far from Nos.  3 - 6.  But it is
enjoyable and does bear the VW touch, with a mix of wit and bitterness
typical of his late years.

>What amazes me about the Vaughan Williams Symphonies is their range.  The
>celebrated middle group of Nos 3, 4, 5 & 6 can be put into two distinct
>camps, i.e.  the pastoral and the war-like, but other symphonies belong
>in neither set (e.g.  No 1 or No 7).  Most of the symphonies work for me,
>despite this astonishing range.

Indeed, and isn't it a charcetristic of genuinely great symphonists? This
is no place to build a theory, but building a universe which is complete
in its own peculiar way, encompassing a wide range without ever losing
one's true personality -- and this can apply to Sibelius as well as Mahler.
Well, lists of "best symphonists" have no end, but discovering a new one
in this category is a rare and most rewarding experience.  IMHO, Tubin and
Pettersson belong to it, maybe paradoxically, as well as Kenins,
Balakauskas...  Oh well, maybe I should start a list...

>The one I've never got on with is No 2 (The 'London').  Perhaps I don't
>possess a good recording and it may well be that I ought to purchase the
>Handley disc on EMI Eminence coupling No 2 with No 8!

No. 2 by Boult -- even if the symphony as a whole is not my favourite,
Boult's slow movement is unforgettable.

>Has Haitink recorded No 8 yet? (I don't think so, but I may have missed
>it).

Not that I know (one of my friends, who has been part of the previous
recordings, would probably have told me).

Best wishes,

Thanh-Tam Le