From:
cillakat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2005 07:42:24 -0500
it does seem to be a good start, but the levels are very very low.
and does it even have fish oil?  or just 'omega 3 fatty acids' as it
says which could easily just be market dha, plus ALA and LA from flax?
  if so, the effect is not likely sufficient.

  i'd have to cull the literature to see if doses that low even have a
significant impact on moms in terms of ppd and other issues.  in my
personal experience, it doesn't.   again, in my personal experience
the dose of fish oil seems to be about 2-3 grams minimum.

the most interesting thing for me was that while I was still nursing
significantly (now it's just a few x per day for about 10 sec)  I had
to take additional fish oil DHA to maintain emotional stability.  in
otherwords, i took two preparations of fish oil - one kind of standard
double strength/high dose fish oil yeilding 400 mg EPA/200 mg DHA per
1g capsule and the other yeilding 250 mg DHA per 500 mg capsules
(trivial amount of EPA).   I played with the ratio's a lot and found
that while nursing, i needed about equal parts DHA and EPA....the
'natural' ratio in 'regular' fish oil cap is 1.5:1 EPA:DHA.  standard
caps have 180 mg EPA:120 DHA.

katherine in atl