ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ed Sobey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:59:16 -0700

Bill-

Getting visitors engaged is the first critical step.  Walking through an
exhibit hall is so often like walking with zombies - few are engaged in
anything.  They push the buttons and say "That looks nice," and move on.  I
suggest engaging people with a challenge ("Can you ...." ) sometimes
followed by a record of what/how others did to meet that challenge.  This
can be amazingly effective and infectious.

Floor people engage visitors.  Explainers don't, but "engagers" do.  The
goal is to supply questions and opportunities and not to supply so many
answers (answers leading to the end of discussion).

You touch on the real problem - as you say not ID/EV - but people's basic
understanding of what science is and how it works.  To do science, people
must have questions (generated through the engagement process), run
experiments (how many museums really have people doing experiments?), and
making observations...  I'm amazed that few people (museum visitors, staff,
professional teachers) can watch a car roll down a ramp and report what
happened.  They just can't do it.  (After a few pointed questions they can
do it, but its' tough to get them to observe and report). If you can't
observe and report, you can't do science.  This is what should be going on
in science centers - "Science"  - the action verb.  It is what we need.

After engaging people to do something and getting them observe (accurately)
and report, they must be able to ascribe some causes to the effects they
observed.  Few can do this.  ("God made it go that way," "I'm not good at
science," are typical responses from kids when asked by their car, boat, or
rocket veered to one side).

Kids (and adults) don't get the change to do science (the verb) in school or
science centers.  Everything is presented to them rather than trying to
engage them in the process.  The process is key, not the facts.  I think the
industry agrees on the importance of the process, but look at the exhibits
and programs being promoted and, to paraphrase Wendy's from years ago,
"Where's the science?"  It's not there.

Criteria - the ability to engage in open ended, hands-on investigation of
what the visitor (not just the curator) finds interesting.  In other words,
let them do science.

						Ed

Ed Sobey, Ph.D.
Northwest Invention Center