From:
Jon Gallant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Mar 2005 08:36:03 -0800
Bernard Chasan, in regard to the BBC and NPR:

>I see no reason why the taxpayers, many (most?) of whom don't share
>those opinions, should subsidize them.

To repeat, public broadcasting does not HAVE TO BE supported by general
tax revenues.  The suggestion I brought up was to CHARGE commercial
broadcasters a fee for their monopoly use of a radio frequency, and use
these fees to subsidize an independent public broadcasting foundation
modelled on the BBC.

I mentioned the BBC as a model in regard to structure, not necessarily
programming policy.  Denis Fodor reports that German public broadcasting
does better CM programming.  So did Radio Sverige during the periods I
lived in Sweden.  CBC underwrites more modern music and even presses and
markets CDs of Canadian moderns.  A decent financial and organizational
structure for public broadcasting would offer the possibility of
improvements in programming, but would not guarantee perfection
according to every point of view.

Jon Gallant
Department of Gnome Sciences
University of Washington