ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:34:29 -0500

While the Hall of Science contingent is chiming in...I think Bill's
post overstated the case here.   Most of the posts on this and related
threads have expressed an openness to religious experience.  The
problem is when the religious explanation and the scientific
explanation are brought to bear on the same phenomenon.  Bill, how do
we deal with the very significant number of people who think that the
earth was created 6000 years ago?  Is it responsible for us to say
"well, that is one perspective and you are entitled to it?"  That is
what we are struggling with here.

While this particular divergence between religious and scientific
worldviews is focused upon evolution, there is a challenge to the
scientific worldview on many topics, from genetics to climate change to
extraterrestrial life.  Many of us have programs on these and related
topics, and we feel the same responsibility to present the scientific
perspective on all of these topics.  While people are absolutely
entitled to believe that aliens have landed on earth, it remains our
responsibility to present what science knows about life beyond earth.
Why would we change our approach with evolution?

Eric Siegel
Executive VP
    Programs and Planning
NY Hall of Science