ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Erin Mattimoe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:39:11 -0500

Hi Jennifer (and everyone else),
I have 2 staff members with disabilities: one suffers from a brain
injury (Bethany) and the other has cerebral palsy (Robin). Bethany uses
a wheelchair to get around. Both women work in our Preschool Gallery and
both have the same job description as all other part-time staff who work
in this area. Bethany was hired before I was her supervisor so I do not
know how she went through the application process but Robin sought us
out through our volunteer program. When I interviewed her we were both
very honest about what was required and what accommodations she needed
in order to successfully volunteer at the Museum.
I would say the best way to have successful employees with disabilities
on your staff is: 1.) Have TONS of flexibility 2.) Communicate with
them. Ask them how you can make their experience more positive and 3.)
Have respect for the individual and their abilities 4.) A sense of humor
never hurts! I am constantly in touch with Bethany's doctors and
therapists and, along with Bethany, we decide the best course of action
to take as situations arise.
The biggest challenge I have come across is with interactions of
non-disabled staff members with our disabled staff members. I think most
of it stems from insecurities about how to interact with disabled staff.
If people are not used to interacting with those with disabilities they
tend to get nervous. I know when I get nervous I sometimes say and do
"stupid" things. Everyone reacts differently. When situations have
arisen, I take the blanket approach and email everyone on staff with the
following information: 1.) Suggestions on how to handle the situation if
it arises again 2.) How they can contact me if they ever need assistance
or have a question 3.) A reminder of the importance of ALL of our
part-time staff members who allow all of us full-time, office people to
have these email discussions on the LISTSERV.
I hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to email me off
list or give me a buzz at 734-995-5439. Good luck!
-Erin

Erin S. Mattimoe
Public Programs Manager
Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum