ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Wendy Pollock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 16:21:53 -0400

Friends,
Over the last several days, ASTC staff have been in touch with a number of
members in areas affected, directly and indirectly, by Hurricane Katrina. We
wanted to pass on some of the news we've heard.

From the Gulf Coast Exploreum in Mobile, Alabama, business manager Tyre
Smithweck sent this update today: "Thankfully, all of our employees are
safe.  The building had some minor flooding, but we did not lose any of our
exhibits (we did lose our wheel chair lifts and fire alarm). We plan to open
back up to the public by next Tuesday."

Last week, the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science in Jackson, which had
some downed trees and flooded trails, reported that they had been offering
free admission and running television news in their theater. They also had
donated hundreds of tee-shirts to emergency workers. The Russell C. Davis
Planetarium, also in Jackson, after a temporary closing last week, was
hoping to open its air-conditioned building as a rest shelter for city
employees.

In Shreveport, Louisiana, Sci-Port Discovery Center CEO Al Najjar reported
last week that hours had been extended and admission fees reduced for
thousands of evacuated families.

The Miami Museum of Science had weathered the hurricane's earlier landfall
with power outages, fallen trees, and some damage to its Wildlife Center.

We have heard only second-hand reports from the Louisiana Children's Museum
in New Orleans and the Louisiana Art and Science Museum in Baton Rouge.

The Liberty Science Center in New Jersey has donated $5,000 to the Exploreum
as a gesture of support. CEO Emlyn Koster comments: "After 9/11, we were not
directly affected by the destruction but we were impacted by the effects of
the event on our staff, many of whom watched the towers collapse from our
site, as well as the fact that we had to sustain ourselves for weeks with no
income. Science centers are a very tightly knit community, and just as other
science centers reached out to us five years ago, we hope our donation will
be of some assistance, and will inspire others to similar action."

Check the AAM website for more details:
http://www.aam-us.org/aamlatest/news/hurricane.cfm

Wendy
Wendy Pollock
Director, Research, Publications, and Exhibitions
Association of Science-Technology Centers
1025 Vermont Avenue NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20005-6310  USA
202/783-7200 x114    Fax 202/783-7207