ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bonnie VanDorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2005 18:35:55 -0400

ASTC's president Pelle Persson asked me to post the following message on his
behalf.
Bonnie VanDorn

I have had the honour and the privilege to work with Roy since the early
90s, and I have valued both our professional cooperation and our many, many
discussions on both ASTC and the field as a whole, and on my own
institution. Over the years we grew to be friends, and Roy's death has left
a world a much lonelier place. I miss him very much, and I express my
condoleances to his family.

As President of ASTC, Roy had the clear vision  to carry out what the
statutes said, ie to position ASTC as an international organization. I
remember an early planning meeting back in 1993, when I arrived directly
from Finland to a dinner discussion in Washington, DC, and where indeed I
think the fate of ASTC was decided. I had a terrible jet lag, but decided to
hang on through.

Roy supported me wholeheartedly when I brought up the idea of a Science
Centre World Congress - without his "go" we would never have gotten there.
He even traveled all the way to Helsinki to check out what this guy was up
to - he was certainly my President!

I remember our early ASTC Board strategic planning sessions, starting in
1997 in Jasper, where Roy made us see the light and understand what
strategic planning really is. I was so excited I brought him on to help out
with Heureka, which he did, and we had many wonderful meetings in Finland,
both professional and more personal, dining with me and Gitta.

As a professional coach he helped me and my organisation immensely. He did
that everywhere: as a field we owe Roy Shafer a lot. Let's carry on his
commitment by staying focused and get even better at doing what we should.
We have lost a great leader, but his memory will prevail. Roy, we miss you!

Per-Edvin Persson
President, ASTC
Director, Heureka