From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 12:35:25 -0800
From the Met -

   New York, NY (February 13, 2006) - In the first significant
   creative collaboration of its kind between Lincoln Center sister
   organizations, The Metropolitan Opera and Lincoln Center Theater
   have joined forces on a groundbreaking opera commissioning program
   to foster the creation of new works to be produced at their
   respective theaters. The announcement of the Met/LCT Opera/Theater
   Commissions was made today by Peter Gelb, The Met's General
   Manager Elect, and Andre Bishop and Bernard Gersten, Artistic
   Director and Executive Producer, respectively, of Lincoln Center
   Theater (LCT). The program will provide renowned composers and
   playwrights/librettists with the financial and creative resources
   to create and develop new works for productions to be staged at
   The Met or Lincoln Center's Vivian Beaumont Theater.

   The initial group of artists selected to take part in the Met/LCT
   Opera/Theater Commissions initiative includes Adam Guettel, Jake
   Heggie, Michael John LaChiusa, Wynton Marsalis, Rachel Portman
   and Nicholas Wright, Jeanine Tesori and Tony Kushner, Michael
   Torke and Craig Lucas, Rufus Wainwright, and Scott Wheeler.

   "The Opera/Theater Commissions program will provide the flexibility
   and support that contemporary opera urgently needs for the proper
   dramatic development of new works, too often missing from the
   standard commissioning process. It will widen the creative field
   to include gifted artists currently composing for serious musical
   theater and other musical forms," said Peter Gelb. "As Lincoln
   Center Theater continues its support of serious musical theater
   at a time when Broadway has turned increasingly to pop music,
   it is logical that The Met and LCT should join forces, since we
   believe that the thin border between opera and serious musical
   theater can easily be crossed. Pooling our creative resources,
   we will jointly foster new work as these artists create both
   grand and smaller-scale operas for the respective sizes of our
   theaters."

Janos Gereben/SF
www.sfcv.org