HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Timothy Scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 13:51:46 -0400
Hey! Sorry about the mis-forwarding of the UWF position
announcement... A little additional advertising for them.  As a
restorative, I've sent out our position announcement again in this
note.  Several people emailed me to ask, so I should point out that
this is not a replacement for me.  This job is to fill the line for
which we interviewed candidates in 2002-3, but lost temporarily due
to budget cuts.  The line has been restored and we now expect to
bring another archaeologist to join the IA faculty at Michigan Tech
in conjunction with our new Ph.D. in Industrial Heritage and
Archaeology.
Best,
Tim

----------------------

Tenure-Track Position in Industrial Archaeology

MICHIGAN TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY’S Program in Industrial Archaeology
and History anticipates filling a tenure-track position for an
industrial archeologist to begin academic year 2006-07.  The ideal
candidate will possess a research record and demonstrated scholarship
related to the archeology of industry, as well as experience in field
investigations related to the standing remains and material culture
of industrial sites, and/or the organization of industrial
communities.  Duties will include (1)  expanding an active field
program involving graduate students through the development and
acquisition of external funding from public and private sponsors;
(2)  contributing to undergraduate and graduate teaching (two classes
per semester);  (3) active writing and scholarly publications in the
areas of industrial archaeology/industrial heritage;  and (4) the
advising of graduate students.  PhD required; women and members of
under-represented minority groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary and rank dependent upon qualifications, with the expectation
of hiring at the assistant professor level.

The Program, situated in the Department of Social Sciences and
comprising an outstanding group of multidisciplinary scholars and
students in archaeology, anthropology, history, history of science/
technology, and architectural history, awards the MS and Ph.D.  The
scholarly emphasis is on the understanding of global industrial
heritage remains and issues, both within the United States and
abroad.   Department website:  http://www.social.mtu.edu/

Please submit a detailed letter of interest, current curriculum
vitae, and names of three references to Chair, Industrial Archaeology
Search Committee, Department of Social Sciences, Michigan
Technological University, 1400 Townsend Drive, Houghton MI
49931-1295.  MTU faculty are represented by the AAUP.    Michigan
Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational
Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer.

The Department will begin reviewing applications about November 15
and will continue until an appointment is made.  Interviews may be
scheduled at the annual meeting of the Society for Historical
Archeology in Sacramento, CA.   Final hiring decision and date of
decision is subject to budgetary considerations, but position is
scheduled to begin August 2006.   Questions or queries should be
addressed to the address above or to Dr. Patrick Martin, Program
Director ([log in to unmask]).