HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 12:17:46 -0500
Following the ballast thread, has anyone seen and identified porous and
white, rounded, "cobbles" that look kind of like cancellous tissue of large
mammals? My crew found more than a dozen of those objects mixed in the cobbles at the
Ballast Point Whaling Station, but others have been found along shores as far
north as Encinitas, California. My guess is they are from ocean tumbled whale
bone. Some have guessed they are exotic coral ballast.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.