HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kate Dinnel and Silas Hurry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:57:54 +0000
Bill and Jim:

     How are you defining Tidewater-below the Fall Line?

Silas Hurry
Historic St. Mary's City(well within the Tidewater)

> Jim,
>
> "These are the kinds of sites that might be written off in compliance
> investigations." Yes!!! and that is why I would like to chair this session.
> These types of sites are written off all too frequently as "field scatter".
> Typically the few early artifacts are listed in the catalog and ignored in
> the text.  That is if they identified correctly in the first place.  This is
> not to say early sites are not found outside of the tidewater area or that
> all CRM firms are guilty of this practice.  My concern is that the database
> is being skewed by the absence of sites in areas where they should be.  I
> would be interested in seeing how many early historic sites (on average) are
> excavated each year by CRM firms.
>
> Finding these sites during the Phase I investigations is difficult.  As you
> said "All, and especially two of them, yielded very few artifacts from
> shovel testing or surface collecting."  Early historic artifacts should be
> treated like fluted points.  Would archaeologist downplay, misinterpret or
> ignore a fluted point...certainly not (or at least I hope not).  Early
> historic sites, (those completely forgotten by the written record) deserve
> better, more intense investigations.  When early artifacts are present
> either from surface collecting or shovel testing, Phase II testing should
> involve non-conventional excavation strategies, such as stripping and
> trenches versus smaller square units scattered on a grid.  The geography
> should also be taken into account (drainage, wind currents and sun
> exposure).
>
> Well you get my drift.  Jim I would welcome a paper from you on your sites
> in the session, since they sound exactly like what I am looking for.
>
> Bill Liebeknecht

This email message was sent using web-based email services provided by Chesapeake.Net
Internet Services.
http://www.chesapeake.net/