From:
Kersula Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 17:44:51 -0500
I was quite concerned  - was it two years ago now?? - when several
Lactnetters went out and priced the new DHA/ARA formulas. The Mead Johnson
rep came to extol the beauties of Lipil at a staff meeting (it was
"educational") and I was aghast when she said they would stop making the
non-DHA/ARA formulas within about 18 months. ("Why would you give your baby
less than the best??" says she.)

So now that puts WIC into a bind. Because the new formulas cost much more
than the non-DHA/ARA formulas, meaning that less mothers and children will
be able to get supplemental foods, due to the money that's going to the
formula companies for these "new-improved" (++++$$$$)  formulas. In Vermont
it may mean that five year olds or four year olds may no longer get their
supplemental foods - I haven't heard the latest as I'm a hospital LC.

After working on our breastfeeding rights bill with the legislature a couple
of years ago, I learned that there is SOOOO much more to all these decisions
than just the surface challenges. It kills me to have WIC getting in bed
with Nestle because they will be able to feed more children! Talk about
being between a rock and a hard place.

Sadder, wiser and maybe just plain older.....Dawn Kersula in Vermont