Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 22:17:42 GMT
Peg wrote
<WIC is mostly an educational setting.  They don't do any hands on helping of
actual mothers and babies - at least in Maryland.>

Not every state or project is the same. A lot depends on the philosophy, and mission of the particular leadership, in addition to the availability of experienced and qualified people. Perhaps some are making progress more rapidly than others in regard to being able to make available hands-on help for mothers who need it. I am thankful that Ohio has made great strides.

It is for the very reason of being able to give direct, as well as educational help, that I volunteer for WIC-to be able to "keep my finger in the clinical pie" so to speak now that I am retired from formal employment. And it gives me a chance to learn from the experiences of the other 3 LC's in our office who get plenty of chances to ask mothers if they may do "hands-on" care, often helping clear up a "train-wreck" soon after hospital discharge. It also helps me stay "in the loop" networking with other local LC's. I recommend investigating this option for others with similar situations.

Jean