From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:52:14 -0600
Rick Mabry wrote:

>I have remarked to my friends, when we discuss the "health" or future
>of the symphony here in Shreveport (it's hanging in there) that I wish
>conductors would say more about the history of and the anectdotes
>surrounding the pieces that are performed.  I think it is a good use of
>the time at a performance and rarely fails to give me a bit more focus
>and interest.  The liner notes that come with a program are nice, but I
>like hearing a person telling a tale. (It can also wake the audience up
>a bit.) On our topic again, is this one more way to grab the younger
>audience members (once they have been dragged to the show by their parents
>or teachers)?  I think videos like these two are extremely helpful.

I wonder...over the years, I have read of so many attempts to interest
develop a younger audience for classical music, yet the market surveys
I have seen over they years, all seem to point to the age range of the
audience for classical music, remaining the same.

Does anyone know of a proven pedagogical methodology for attracting
younger audiences to classical music? For me, I keep wondering why the
same methodologies (especially dumbing down content) keep being held in
such high regard, when I know of no empirical evidence to support their
efficacy.

I am reminded of a thread on this list (several years ago) where many
of us told of what attracted us initially to classical music.  I don't
recall there being any commonality.

Karl