HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jul 2005 19:25:38 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, HISTARCH
automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> (i.e. Philip) writes
>We are currently doing a Phase I investigation of a property in the Pocono
>region of Pennsylvania (you know - heart-shaped tubs, honeymoon cottages,
>etc.).
>We've found that this property contains the remains of an early incarnation
>(late-19th to early-20th C.) of what was to become this area's substantial
>vacation / resort industry during the second half of the 20th Century. While
>historians have devoted a good deal of attention to the Pocono vacation
>wonderland, it has been subjected to very little archaeological investigation.
>I'm wondering if anyone knows of studies of this sort of vacation / resort site
>in other regions. Just a few references to give us an entry into the literature
>would be much appreciated.

For comparison with what was happening in Europe, there is a paper in
Jens Christian Holst (ed) Historischer Hausbau zwischen Elbe und Oder
(2002) - I didn't make a note of name or title, I'm afraid.

There is also a paper, possibly by A. King, on the rise and use of
holiday cottages along the Dee in Cheshire, which I simply can't trace
at all in my bibliography or find through the usual bibliographical
searches.  If anyone can remind me of the author and location, I'd be
grateful, as it was a thought-provoking piece, and I'm annoyed with
myself at not being able to locate it.

A comparison with European developments may be appropriate if your users
were referring to ethnicity in making their holiday choices - Peter J.
has a paper 'Home and class among an American landed class' in John A.
Agnew and James S. Duncan (1989) _Power of Place: Bringing Together
Geographical and Sociological Imaginations_     66-80 which looks at the
creation of an 'English' holiday resort in upstate New York - a paper I
find unsatisfactory for many reasons, but might set you off.

With best wishes,

Pat

Pat Reynolds

--