HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:20:43 -0500
Anecdotal too, years ago the "chit" given out for use at the "Canteen"
was collectible. At Fort Drum, NY was once an Italian POW camp and
walking anywhere from there across the border one would have to swim
the now St. Lawrence Seaway, which I think was first a C.C.C. camp
(Civilian Conservation Camp) or so I was told during our Envirosphere
Inc. survey (for Ebasco, Texas power plant builders, once in five top
floors of the World Trade Center) initially archaeologically surveying
the 110,000 acres for the relocation of the US Army 10th Mountain
Division.

While on another survey with a Welsh-Uruguayan on the survey of the
then future Tenn-Tombigbee Barge Canal (connects Mobile, AL on the
Gulf of Mexico with Tennessee, and Ohio Rivers) we stopped in
Aliceville, Alabama which has a small granite carved monument of a
German man and a woman "peasant" commemorating the p.o.w. camp there.

Years ago I mistakenly asked the U-S National Archives about the
U.S.S. Savannah (which I was actually asking about the NY-Savannah, GA
"Savannah Lines" which had the U.S.S. City of Atlanta in, early
torpedoed by U-123 off Cape Hatteras with a Canadian grand-uncle in
command, he also a harbor pilot, advantageous I'm told for getting in
and out of harbors) which was renamed and armed they wrote it picked
up 243 (?) p.o.w.'s from a "German raider" off our coast. There is an
excellent book by Michael Gannon "Operation Drumbeat" that goes into
it. It's been promised in the second edition printing, to spell Master
Mariner "Leman Urquhart" once of Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick,
Canada, correctly.

While I anecdotally got to the U-S National Archives, I would like to
point out that in an article on the history of the "White House Press
Secretaries" published by them, (beginning with George B. Cortelyou,
teacher of shorthand, arguably the first, who spoke to the press in
the White House, after the shooting of President McKinley in Buffalo,
NY) that Dee Dee Myers, though in that position for three years (?) in
the President Clinton presidency, was left out of the article, though
the only woman to have served in it.

There is an interesting brick monument in the Adirondacks' roadside
marking President Theodore Roosevelt's "swearing in" en route to
Buffalo, NY, that I've stopped at that needs more protection or
"signage" I thought I'd throw in too.