HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Christine Garst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:21:59 -0600
I'm hoping that someone out there can help me with a conservation
problem that I have.  I have came across a box of shoes (fragments and
near complete) that was recovered from Historic Fort Hays (1865-1889)
during excavation in the late 1960's.  The shoes are, unfortunetly,
covered in what appears to be either axel grease or candle wax/tallow or
both.  They give off a strong odor of wax, but look and feel very
greasy.  I can't continue to leave them in the box as they are as that
has been soaking up the grease also.  As I see it I have two options:

1. Should I leave the shoes the way they are?  If so, could they be
placed in plastic bags to contain the mess and smell or would the
plastic bags react poorly with the grease/wax?

2.  If the grease/wax should be removed from the shoes what type of
cleaner or solvent could be used to clean them?

Can anyone out offer a solution to my dilemma?

Thank you very much,
Chris Garst
Kansas State Historical Society