HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"William B. Lees, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:05:48 -0400
You should probably post this query to the underwater list,
SubArch.  There are certainly innumerable examples.

Also, keep in mind that every river within 100 miles of any Civil
War action, fort, camp, or other massing of troops is reputed to
have artillery pieces in it, generally seen personally by an
acquaintance of a friend or relative, who as a young child
delighted in diving from the barrel.  Now, to be certain, guns
did end up in rivers, but not near as many as the sum of all the
stories to that effect would lead you to believe.  If guns were
dumped in the river by a retreating army, chances are there are
some credible historical accounts to that fact.  Keep in mind
also that for every cannon in the creek there are bound to be
innumerable other pieces of junk.

Good luck with your search!

William B. Lees, Ph.D., RPA
Vice President, Business Development and Special Projects
CULTURAL RESOURCE ANALYSTS, INC.
151 Walton Avenue
Lexington, KY  40508
Voice: (859) 252-4737