From:
Richard Tsuyuki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:40:53 -0500
I think the musical inclinations of teenagers have to do with several
factors:

1) what they are accustomed to (i.e., styles of music they are familiar with),
2) group belonging, i.e., what their peers are listening to/talking about,
3) rebellion against their parents/society, and
4) what helps them deal with adolescent angst.

The only common public inlet for classical music pertaining to (1) is,
as others have pointed out, film music.  My preschool daughters are
listening to a Disney CD right now, and the Hunchback of Notre Dame music
actually has the Dies Irae in it.  Of course, we can expose our own kids
to music we like in the privacy of our homes.  My 5-year-old likes
listening to Beethoven in the car on the way to school.  Classical music
is unlikely to appeal by points (2) and (3), which I think are the primary
appeal of rock/pop (don't get me wrong - I like rock/pop).  What I am
left with, then, is (4).  I really believe that certain kinds of art
music could speak at a deep emotional level to teenagers who are dealing
with all sorts of turmoil (conflict with parents/teachers, boyfriend/girlfriend
issues, feeling excluded from peer groups, "what to do with my life",
etc.) in their lives.  When you are depressed about the whole world being
against you, the cathartic effect of listening to, I don't know, something
like Barber's Adagio, can be enormous.  But it requires the teenager in
question to have access, to be exposed, to have an open mind and not be
predisposed to dislike it because "everyone knows classical music is for
old people."

Regarding attention span, heck, I think *my* attention span has decreased
in recent years.  I can hardly focus on a phone conversation anymore,
without being distracted by my computer screen or thinking about my other
responsibilities (at work), or by my wife and kids (at home).  It may
be a cliche by now, but I really think we are living in an accelerated
world of constant media bombardment and information overload.  It's not
fair to pin this just on young people - instant gratification and
multitasking has become a way of life, at least around where I live.

Regards,

Richard Tsuyuki
Northern Virginia, USA