From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 08:31:49 -0800
I feel bad for EMI, but it's not the end of the world.  I haven't bought
an EMI for years.  Many of their stable of artists will most likely show
up on enterprising smaller labels.  Veronique Gens and the the Scottish
National have ended up on Naxos, Roge has ended up on Oehms, Fischer and
the Budapest on Channel, etc., all in the new SACD format as well.  Very
exciting.  Not to mention that the jewel in EMI's crown, the Berlin Phil
with Rattle, is putting out it's own label--single inventory CD/SACD
hybrids at mid-price.  I really enjoyed their Stravinsky Rite of Spring,
next up: Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe!  The Concertgebouw and London Symphony
also have their in-house labels now as well with SACD layers at mid-price.
Superior sound cheaper than CD, *with* a CD layer for those who prefer
lower resolution.  ;) It's amazing: if you put out a better product and
sell it for less, people buy.

I have heard, but can't verify, that the SACD re-issues of the RCA Living
Presence and Mercury Living Presence have been run-away best-sellers,
the former at mid-price.  I know my local Tower classical manager says
he's never seen classical CDs sell like these--even the regular employees
have had to be told where they're stocked.  Life goes on.

John Smyth
Sac, CA