From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:03:57 -0500
Ron Chaplin wrote:

>Kevin responds:
>
>>I can go along with this idea so long as said corporations do not have
>>artistic control of the orchestras.
>
>I don't think this would be possible.  Afterall, there's no such thing
>as a free lunch.

A related example...usually the major focus of a Board of Trustees is
to bring in the $.  Just a few years ago, the Board of our local opera
company fired the Executive Director for his choices in programming.
While they pointed to the costs, it was, at least in my mind, clearly
a question of of the music preferences of the Board.

Another example, one donor to one of our local arts organizations
offered to underwrite a concert if they scheduled a piece he wanted to
hear performed.  Fortunately, it was within the artistic goals of the
organization.  For me, it seemed odd that a donor knew enough about music
to know what they liked, versus donors that only seem to focus on what
they don't like.

And...I might have mentioned before...a local Japan based company that
was interested in underwriting a concert of chamber music written by
Japanese Composers...I wonder what they would think of music of Miyoshi,
Takemitsu, Mayuzumi, et al?

Karl