From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:10:07 +0000
Jim Tobin writes:

>If I like a piece of music initially, I generally like it more after
>repeated listenings.

Jim's experience doesn't often work in my situation.  Generally, music
I like initially tends to get old quickly, Vivaldi being a prime example.
That's probably due to elements familiar to my past listening experiences.
I find that the music most rewarding to me is at first quite a trial.
It took me years to fully appreciate the organ music of Bach and Buxtehude,
but it's now an essential part of my regimen.  Concerning modern music
without tonal centers, its appeal is still growing on me.

Don Satz