From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 07:08:52 +1100
Eddie Janusz asked:

>Would anybody on this list like to recommend a recording or two?

The only one I know well is Howard Hanson's on Mercury which I can
strongly recommend.  Your choice of which version to buy may be influenced
by what else is on the CD: this one has Ives' Three Places in New England
and Symphony #3, which you may well have already, and Mennin's edgy and
exhilarating Symphony #5.  The recordings were made between 1957 and
1963, if that's a consideration.  Checking an online outlet, I was
surprised to see how many versions are available.  Those I'd be considering
are the Naxos version which also has his Violin Concerto, Koch's which
couples it with Bernard Herrmann's symphony, and RCA, Schuman's 10th
Symphony and American Festival Overture.  All the couplings are well
worth knowing.

Richard Pennycuick