From:
Anne Ozorio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 00:04:49 -0000
What about some input from people who really have knowledge of what
we talk about?  Making the connection between intolerance and hate is
crucial.  Knowing where bigotry leads should make us think how it can
be overcome.

   "We must not only remember them - which is a cheap and
   superficial cliche - we must learn from them'.  (advisor
   at Yad Vashem)

   "For me music is music.  Above all I am against hate.  It
   is a poison that destroys all round it.  Those who have not
   experienced these things, usually Americans, are the most
   radical in their condemnation.  They have a sense of guilt
   for not having suffered so therefore they can't be caught
   forgiving.  As a rule, those who were there and have seen
   human nature at its worst, don't have such radical
   condemnation......people put labels on music which aren't
   needed" (survivor of Auschwitz)

   "People don't learn, they don't learn....." (another Auschwitz
   survivor)

Anne